Saturday, September 11, 2010

Walk to Remember




Today, Tommy and I are beside ourselves. In one month from today, our son will be one year old. Where have the past 11 months gone?? It is official.. (as has been for a while, I'm sure... though I have been unable to accept it until this day) Collin is a toddler.



I have been slacking with my picture taking due to an overabundance of knitting projects. However, I have plenty of pictures from the Alzheimer's Association Memory Walk... which was about two weekends ago. Better late than never, I guess!

A few short years ago, my grandma, Patricia, passed away from Alzheimer's Disease. My mother also works for the Alzheimer's Association, who has helped my family in our greatest times of need. The Memory Walk is put on by the Association every year to raise awareness, educate and raise money to fight this disease. This was Collin's first (of many) Memory Walk! An occasion worthy of picture taking.


When we arrived, we met Mom (a.k.a. "Gamma") at the register tent. Immediately, she scooped him up and began showing him off to her co-workers and volunteers. Mary Ann (above) is a volunteer and works with Mom on a weekly basis. So, she gets to see Collin's pictures and hear about all of his antics. Such a sweet lady..




Gamma is a nut for her grandson... in case you couldn't tell.

Onward to the walk... The O.R.U. campus was beautiful. The weather was perfect! Everyone there was having a good time.


Here is the path... and never mind whatever Tommy may tell you. We did not take the short cut.




Gotta stay hydrated!



There were over 2,000 people at the walk this year. It was fantastic! Close to the end of the walk, a firetruck was spraying water... I'm assuming that it was for kids to run and play in. But it made such a beautiful rainbow. It seemed very special.



At the finish line, we went through a "tunnel" of Union football players and cheerleaders... all clapping, cheering and smiling. Collin thought this was the best!


Like father, like son... or is it the other way around?



The elusive "bunny face"... has turned into "rabid-bunny-on-crack face". It is very difficult to catch this on camera!





At the end, Collin got to play on the grass while his Daddy helped my mom tear down the tent. This was probably one of the first times he's played on grass... I worry about ants biting him. When I was little I sat on a fire ant mound. It was very traumatic... I'm sure it was for my mom, too! Don't worry ya'll, I'll get over it. He'll be rolling in the mud before too long, I'm sure.






Something was special about that day. I'm not exactly sure what... maybe it was a combination of things. The weather was beautiful, we were together and we were having fun. It may become one of my favorite memories.


Fin.

---------------------------------------------------


FUNNY FACES






---------------------------------------------------------

IRON CHEF CHUBBY-MOTO




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That looks like such an awesome day to have in your memory.